Fire Extinguishers (9)
At C & W Berry, we supply a selection of fire extinguishers that help to maintain safety in the home or workplace. Our range is designed to reduce the potential damage caused by small, localised fires and ensures that the spread of flame is either ceased or mitigated before the emergency services arrive. There are six internationally recognised types of fire in accordance with BS EN 3, which are broken down into the following classifications:
- Class A – Combustible organic materials including paper, wood and fabric
- Class B – Flammable liquids such as petroleum, turpentine and paint
- Class C – Flammable gases including butane and methane
- Class D – Combustible metals such as potassium and lithium*
- Class E – Fires involving electrical equipment (see below note)
- Class F – Flammable cooking oils, such as vegetable and animal fats
*L2 Class D extinguishers must be used to douse fires caused by lithium (M28 powder is not suitable).
Please note, Class E has been discontinued, but was used to classify fires that involved electrical appliances. It is no longer considered a classification as an electrical fire can fall into the remainder of the five categories once the power has been turned off.
Fire extinguishers are colour banded to indicate which type of suppressive agent is contained inside. Each of these options is intended for use with a specific fire classification that is clearly defined on the exterior of the extinguisher by icons and text. It is important to take note of this, as you may require a specific fire extinguisher for your premises. Our extinguishers are kitemarked to BS EN 3, carry a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty if serviced in accordance with BS 5306 Part 3 and are all squeeze operated.
To help identify what type of fire extinguisher to use with each classification of fire, please refer to the image and table listed below. There is also a selection of identification signs and extinguisher gauge dots to state the last service date available from stock.
Fire Extinguisher Information
The below diagram and table help to identify which fire extinguisher you require based off the fire class.
Fire Extinguisher Chart
Fire Extinguisher Classifications & Table
- Class A – Combustible organic materials
- Class B – Flammable liquids including petrol
- Class C – Fires caused by gas, such as methane
- Class D – Combustible metals*
- Class E – Fires involving electrical equipment (see note below)
- Class F – Flammable cooking oils
*L2 Class D extinguishers must be used on fires caused by lithium, M28 extinguishers are not suitable.
Note: Classification E has been discontinued, but was used to classify fires involving electrical appliances.